POEMS Mercury

Who is PhillipCapital?

PhillipCapital was established in Singapore in 1975. PhillipCapital employs over 5,000 staff and services more than 1,000,000 clients worldwide. Located in 15 countries and operates in the major financial centres around the world.

PhillipCapital has assets under management and custody worldwide totalling more than US$ 35 billion with shareholders' funds in excess of US$ 1.5 billion.

In 1996, PhillipCapital became one of the first companies to offer online trading in Singapore through the POEMS online trading platform.

Is PhillipCapital Australia regulated?

Yes, in Australia PhillipCapital group of companies hold two Australian Financial Services Licenses (AFSL) – Phillip Capital Limited ABN 14002 918 247 AFSL 246827 & Phillip Capital Trading Pty Ltd ABN 68 066 066 911 AFSL 246796 and is regulated by ASIC. Being one of the full service stock brokers, Phillip Capital Limited is also an ASX and Chi-X market participant.

What is POEMS?

POEMS stands for Phillip Online Electronic Mart System and was one of the first online trading systems to be developed in Singapore. POEMS has since evolved into an advanced trading system tailored for today's traders.

What is POEMS Mercury?

POEMS Mercury is an application-based advanced trading platform from the POEMS stable of platforms, it is designed for active traders like who demand speed and reach to global markets.

What Markets are available on the POEMS Mercury platform?

Available online markets are:

United States

  • NYSE


  • ASX


  • TSE

Hong Kong

  • HKEx


  • LSE
What other markets do you offer?

PhillipCapital offers a number of markets that are not currently available online. These markets include:


  • TWSE

South Korea

  • KRX


  • TSX


  • France (Euronext Paris)
  • Netherlands (Euronext Amsterdam)
  • Portugal (Euronext Lisbon)
  • Belgium (Euronext Brussels)

China B Shares

  • SSE
  • SZSE


  • PHX


  • IDX


  • BIST

Account Application and Opening

Who can open a trading account?

To open a trading account you need to be over 18 years of age with a valid ID.

If you are located overseas, you will need to have an address in a country with a CPI score greater than 30. To view the CPI score please click here.

Is there a fee to open an account?

No, there are no account opening fees. Open an account here.

Should I have documents handy before starting the application process?

Before commencing the online application, please have your driver license or passport, banking details and Tax File Number or TIN handy to refer to.

How do I open a trading account?

To open a PhillipCapital trading account, please

click here to start your online application

What do I select in the Product selection page?

Please select "Trade Shares & Warrants online with POEMS" to access our local and international platform offering.

Why are there other products available?

PhillipCapital offers a number of trading products including currencies, indices and options. Please contact supporttrading@phillipcapital.com.au or phone 1300 882 477 for more information.

Do I need a HIN (CHESS Sponsored) to trade shares?

Yes, you need a HIN number in order to trade Australian shares online. HIN is not required for international shares.

What is an Account Designation?

Commonly, individual, joint and sole trader account designations can remain blank. Account designations are relevant to company, Trust and Superannuation Fund accounts.

What is the completion PIN?

The completion PIN is a four digit number that needs to be entered into the last page of the application to complete the online process.

Where is my completion PIN?

The completion PIN is sent to your email address when you first start the account opening form. If you can't see it in your inbox please check your junk mail.

What is Third Party Authority?

If you nominate a third party authority to the account, they are provided with trading access only. A third party do not have authority to alter account information or instruction on financial aspects, including deposit or withdrawal, of the trading account.

What documents do I need to sign and return?

When your online application has been completed, you will be provided with some documents to print out and sign.

The documents will include:

  1. Signed and dated execution pack (received in an email at the end of your application).
  2. A photo or scan of your driver license or passport.
  3. And a PDF, photo or scan of a recent bank statement reflecting the details in the application.

For clients who failed our online verification test, the ID and bank statement will need to be certified.

When do I need to supply certified ID?

Our third party verification conducts a check from a number from electronic database sources to match the information entered on the application. If the verification process is not able to match your details, then we will need certified ID documents to satisfy the Anti Money laundering and counter terrorism financing laws.

How to certify documents?

Take the original document and a photocopy to one of the people listed below and ask them to certify the photocopy that is a true and correct copy of the original document. The person who certifies it will need to print their name, date and sign on the certified document.

Who can certify documents?
  1. Australian Consular Officer or Australian Diplomatic Officer
  2. Bailiff
  3. Bank officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
  4. Building society officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
  5. Chiropractor (licensed or registered)
  6. Clerk of court
  7. Commissioner for Affidavits
  8. Commissioner for Declarations
  9. Credit union officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
  10. Dentist (licensed or registered)
  11. Fellow of the National Tax Accountant's Association
  12. Finance company officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
  13. Judge of a court
  14. Justice of the peace
  15. Legal practitioner (licensed or registered)
  16. Magistrate
  17. Marriage celebrant licensed or registered under Subdivision C of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961
  18. Master of a court
  19. Medical practitioner (licensed or registered)
  20. Member of Chartered Secretaries Australia
  21. Member of Engineers Australia, other than at the grade of student
  22. Member of the Association of Taxation and Management Accountants
  23. Member of the Australian Defence Force with 5 or more years of continuous service
  24. Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, the Australian Society of Certified Practicing Accountants or the Institute of Public Accountants
  1. Member of the Parliament of the Commonwealth, a State, a Territory Legislature, or a local government authority of a State or Territory
  2. Minister of religion licensed or registered under Subdivision A of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961
  3. Nurse (licensed or registered)
  4. Officer / employee of a financial institution with 2 or more years of continuous service with one or more financial companies
  5. Officer with, or an Authorised Representative/Financial Adviser of, a holder of, an Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) having 2 or more continuous years of service with one or more licensees
  6. Optometrist (licensed or registered)
  7. Permanent employee of Commonwealth, State or local government authority with at least 5 or more years of continuous service
  8. Permanent employee of the Australian Postal Corporation with 5 or more years of continuous service
  9. Pharmacist (licensed or registered)
  10. Physiotherapist (licensed or registered)
  11. Police officer
  12. Psychologist (licensed or registered)
  13. Registrar, or Deputy Registrar, of a court
  14. Sheriff
  15. Teacher employed on a full-time basis at a school or tertiary education institution
  16. Veterinary surgeon (licensed or registered)
If I am outside of Australia and my documents are not in English, will you accept them?

No, if your identification documents are not in English you will need to have them professionally translated into English by a certified translator.

Why do I need a W8BEN form?

W-8BEN is a US Treasury form that allows foreign investors to claim special tax treaty benefits, including a reduced rate of withholding tax. The W-8BEN form needs to be completed to trade US shares, this avoids a double taxation for our clients.

How to complete a W-8BEN Form?

For Individual, Joint or Sole Trader Accounts please click on this link for guidelines.

For Corporate Accounts please click on this link for guidelines.

For Self-Managed Super Fund Accounts please click on this link for guidelines.

For Trust Accounts please click on this link for guidelines.

How do I submit my documents for account opening?

You can take a photo or scan your signed account opening documents and certified ID copies (if required) to your account manager or to this email address for the account to be opened: supporttrading@phillipcapital.com.au

PhillipCapital requires original signed documents and original certified copies of ID to be sent in the post within 10 days of your account opening.

The address to send these documents to is:

Attn: Settlements
Phillip Capital
Level 10, 330 Collins St
Melbourne VIC

How long does it take for my account to be opened?

Once you have supplied all the correct documents, your account can take up to two business days to open.

How do I know that my account has been opened?

You will receive two emails from PhillipCapital Australia. The first email is for account opening and your Phillip Online Portfolio (POP) account. This email will contain your PhillipCapital account number and also funding information. The second email is for the POEMS Mercury online trading platform, this will contain your login details and how to download the platform.

What is POP?

POP stands for Phillip Online Portfolio and is a view only portal that allows you to see your share portfolio along with access to ledger records and contracts notes among other information. Please note POP is separate from your POEMS Mercury trading platform.

Trading Account

Is there a minimum balance to be kept in my Trading Account?

No, there is no minimum balance required.

How do I fund my account?

There are a number ways you can fund your account:

    1. Transfer funds into your PhillipCapital trading ledger using these details:
Bank Name: Westpac
BSB: 032-024
A/C No: 259486
A/C Name: Pershing Securities Australia Trust
Reference: (Enter your PhillipCapital Account Number)

Pershing are PhillipCapital Australia's third-party clearing agent for Australian Shares.

    1. BPAY

You will be given BPay details upon account opening

    1. Link a Cash Management Account

You are able to link a cash management account to your POEMS trading account. The type of CMAs we are compatible with are:

    1. Macquarie CMA
    2. ANZ V2 Plus CMA
    3. Commbank Accelerator CMA
    4. Adelaide Bank CMA
Will I receive interest on my funds?

If you fund your account using the PhillipCapital ledger no interest will be paid on your funds.

If you fund using a linked CMA then any interest accrued in that account will be paid to you by the bank.

Is there an account maintenance fee?

No, we do not charge account maintenance fee.

Are there any inactivity fees?

No, there are no inactivity fees charged by PhillipCapital Australia.

Do I get extra charges if my account did not have trade activities for 3 or more months?

No, you do not get charged for inactive fee.

Does my account get suspended if I did not have trade activities for 3 or more months?

No, your account will not be suspended.

What do I do if I forget my password?

Please contact us on the details below with account name and number to have your password reset.

Phone: 1300 882 477
Email: supporttrading@phillipcapital.com.au

How do I withdraw funds from my trading account?

If you have available funds in your PhillipCapital ledger account, please contact us on the details below or contact your adviser with your account name and number and the amount you wish to withdraw. Please note, to withdraw funds you must have put the funds at risk first ie. Invested the funds before withdrawing.

Phone: 1300 882 477
Email: supporttrading@phillipcapital.com.au

How do I update my details?

To update your contact details such as email and physical or postal address please click here and fill out the form and have the account holders sign at the bottom of the last page and submit to supporttrading@phillipcapital.com.au.


How do I place orders online?

To place a trade online, simply click on the trade tab in the POEMS Mercury platform and enter the trade details into the order ticket and submit.

Is phone trading available for online markets?

Yes, we offer a phone trading service for ASX and international markets. Please note that international orders for markets that trade outside Australian business hours need to be phoned in by 4pm AEST weekdays. Manual execution fees will apply.

How do I place orders for offline markets?

Once you have an active account open you can place orders in offline markets by phoning or emailing your order/s to either of these contacts.

Phone: 1300 882 477
Email: supporttrading@phillipcapital.com.au

The order needs to consist of:

  1. Stock name, ticker code and stock market it is listed on
  2. Number of shares
  3. Buy or Sell
  4. Specify if limit or market order (Market orders are not available on liquid stocks)
  5. Specify if the order is good for one day only or if its good till cancelled (Australian market only)
How do I view my offline market holdings?

Simply log into your POP account and click on portfolio and you will be able the details of your holdings.

Are ASX shares purchased through the POEMS Mercury platform CHESS sponsored?

Yes, all Australian shares bought through online trading platforms are CHESS sponsored through your PhillipCapital HIN. In the application process you will need to either select to have a new HIN created or transfer your existing HIN from another broker.

Are international shares held through a custodian?

Yes, all international shares bought through online and offline channels are held in custody. PhillipCapital endeavours to pass on dividends and corporate actions to the end client.

Is there a minimum parcel size when buying a security?

The minimum value for Australian market is $500. Order value with less than that amount will not be accepted.

The minimum parcel size for international markets is variable from stock to stock. Most Asian markets have a minimum lot size.

For international shares, do you settle in foreign currencies?

No, for international trading we only settle in AUD.

What order types and order duration are available in the online trading platforms?

Limit and Stop Limit orders are available in the online trading platforms. The order duration is day only.

Can orders be cancelled and amended, and is there any charge for it?

Clients can amend or cancel their orders at no cost as long as the trade is not partially or fully filled. The residual volume of the orders can be adjusted but the filled portion of the order cannot be modified.

Do I get live pricing in the trading platforms?

Price data in POEMS Mercury is 20 minutes delayed, clients can subscribe to a live pricing feed.

What is the Market Depth?

Market depth lists all buy and sell orders in the market for a particular security. If you wish to see if there is sufficient liquidity to sell a particular security, you can quickly check how many orders exist, and at which prices. This is particularly important for certain small cap stocks, where liquidity can below.